- High School
High School Online Courses
Online Learning Opportunities
Online Learning Opportunities
SVA has expanded its personalized curriculum choices to include online learning courses in order to meet the needs of high school students and expand course options. Online curriculum provides high-quality instruction to students in independent study and takes advantage of the interactivity and multimedia power of the internet. Depending on the course and online publisher, courses provide a variety of activities, question formats, forums, quizzes, and tests.
Online learning also improves technical skills as students learn to navigate different learning management systems and programs. These skills translate to many professions, including skills that create and share documents, and incorporate audio/video materials into assignments. Online publishers provide a rigorous standards-based curriculum to engage and motivate students. The interactivity and multimedia delivery of courses make learning more engaging and fun. Online publishers provide highly qualified teachers as instructors for each course.
SVA has researched many online options, and options are listed per course in the catalog. These rigorous courses meet the highest academic standards of excellence. Keep in mind that the listed options are not exhaustive. SVA is continually researching and updating online courses and welcomes suggestions and ideas on online course offerings from students and their families.
SVA is committed to student success and therefore has developed guidelines for students who wish to take online courses.
Please read the following guidelines and procedures for requesting an online course. Your SVA Teacher, parent/guardian, and student, must all be in agreement regarding the responsibilities and expectations listed below. SVA may cancel or limit access to an online course, if necessary, at any time. (Please also refer to the Technology/Acceptable Use Agreement and Student-Parent Handbook for more information regarding student-parent responsibilities and expectations.)
Student and Parent Responsibilities:
- Student must be in good standing in all other enrolled courses.
- Parent must provide approval and willingness to participate in daily monitoring of course.
- Parent and student must learn how to navigate the system and procedures for the selected online provider and read their Academic Honesty policies.
- The student must have consistent and reliable computer and internet access prior to requesting online courses.
- Student and parent must commit to follow through and complete the course once enrolled.
- Students and parents must become aware of the drop policy for the online provider they choose, and the reimbursement restrictions.
- Students are limited to enrolling in one (1) online course per semester, unless approved by the director.
Procedure for Requesting Online Courses
- Students and parents must complete and sign the Online Course Guidelines Acknowledgment Form.
- SVA Teachers submit the signed Online Request Form to the Online Course Coordinator for approval.
- Allow at least one week from the submission date for acceptance and enrollment to be complete.
- Once approved, the student will be enrolled in the course with the student’s assigned SVA Teacher listed as the mentor teacher.
- Via email, the student, parent, and SVA Teacher will be notified of the beginning date of the course, the online course website, and user name and password.
- Each online publisher has a technology helpline that parents and students are encouraged to use if there are any difficulties navigating the website and completing assignments.
Consult with your SVA Teacher and/or High School Coordinator for more information on the online course publishers and course descriptions.
|Dave Ramsey Financial Literacy||www.daveramsey.com|
|Mr. D’s Online Math||www.mrdmath.com|
|Driver Ed to Go||www.driveredtogo.com|